Brief History of Augusta
Augusta is a town in the south-west of Western Australia and stands on the slopes of the Hardy Inlet, overlooking the Blackwood River , the Southern Ocean and wooded forests. It is the third oldest settlement in Western Australia. The site was named, Augusta, by James Stirling in May 1830, in honour of Princess Augusta Sophia, the second daughter of King George III and Queen Charlotte. Click for more history of Augusta
The Old Jetty – The Flinders Bay Jetty was once the focal point for commerce and transport in Augusta during the timber boom of the 1880s. The jetty became the winter port for M.C. Davies timber empire, as it was protected from the westerlies which made Hamelin Bay Jetty treacherous in the winter months.
Things You May Not Know About Augusta
The postcode for Augusta is 6290.
Augusta is the most south-westerly town in Western Australia.
In 1925 the State Government extended the railway line from Busselton to Augusta. In 1957 the government closed the service.
The Anglican Church at Augusta is a converted tobacco shed.
On the 30th of July 1986, a school of 114 false killer whales beached themselves near Augusta. Scores of volunteers raced to the beach and for two days and two nights they worked in freezing conditions to rescue the stranded mammals. Ninety-six of the precious creatures survived and were returned safely back into the ocean. The event became the world’s largest whale-rescue. A memorial is located near the site.